Thursday, September 18, 2014

Why can't things just work?

This whole episode started August 17.
We were to have and easy ride from Auburn IN to Dedatur IN to the ARG service facility. As we took I470 to bypass Ft Wayne we were signaled that there was a problem. Pulled off to the shoulder and  saw that there was coolant all over the Jeep and the rear of the coach. Called Good Sam Roadside assistance. And wait and wait and wait. I put out safety triangles but the traffic just didn't move over. The buffeting was terrible.  Finally we were towed to Selking International in FT Wayne. Late evening so we went down the road to a dinner and then off to WalMart to get a few things.

Up at about 0530 so I could be at the service window when it opened at 0600. About 10:00 a tech came out and started work. He determined that the hose clamp at the radiator header tank had come loose. He replaced the hose, tightened clamp, refilled fluid and pressure tested the system. Declared all was well. We went to Decatur and got checked in.

Decatur service picks up the coach at 0600  and returns it by 1430 at the earliest. So went our week and most of the next.

Next was a short trip to Mercer County Fairgrounds. After our week+ there we headed for Cambridge OH. We got as far as Zanesville OH and the low coolant light came on again. We were at an exit so we were able to get to Lucas Truck Sales and Service another International dealer. Again the hose was off. I told them that this was the second time and I thought something more was wrong. They checked everything re-clamped the hose, refilled coolant, pressure tested and we were on our way.

We made it about 15 miles and low coolant. Again we were on the interstate, I70 this time. We couldn't get a tow and opted for a roadside mobile service. I told that tech our tale and he said they used in incorrect clamp. It was to large and would not tighten properly. He installed a spring hose clamp and after the usual refill of fluid and letting it run we were of for the last 10 or so miles to the campground where we arrived at 2300, 11:00PM.

After our tour of Cambridge, which you may have read about a few posts back, we were heading to Winchester VA and Candy Hill camp ground. We never made it.

Along I470 around Wheeling VA off the hose came again. I decided to try Coach Net since it is included with this purchase of the coach. I explained the problem and that this was the 4th time. There offer was to have us towed to Pittsburgh PA. We didn't like that option so we called Good Sam adn they said they would send a mobile service, but if it happened again they would not honer a request for the same service. A different mobile service, Fleet Service, arrived and replaced the hose with another more robust one. We were on our way again.

We expected to make the campground at about 2000, 8PM, We didn't. Just getting off VA37 in Winchester the low coolant light again. We made it to a WalMart parking lot and shut it down for the night.

The next morning I again called Coach Net and told them I was at a new location and gave them the address. They called back and told me a tow company was being dispached from Pittsburgh PA. In shock I said NO I am no where near there. I left them to figure it out. We called Highway Motors an International shop and explained the situation. We agreed that they would send a tech out to reattach the hose and refill coolant so we could drive the 6 miles to there shop.

Just after noon we pulled into a service bay and they started working to find the root cause. At last someone with a brain. There feeling is that the connecting pipe that goes from the engine to near the radiator is not adaquatly supported. They could find now way to add any support. So we agreed that they would install a longer hose with a different type of silicone lining and double clamp each side. The longer hose prevents movement of the pipe and seems to be holding.

Tomorrow we deive the 50 or so miles to the West Virginia State Fairgrounds for the Holiday Rambler International Rally. I have been in contact with Monaco/HR and have arranged for one of their tech that will be at the rally to inspect and make changes they deem necessary.

I must say a few good words about the warranty service I have recieved. I had 3 prior problems and they were all covered by warranty. I had to pay the service providers and submit the invoices and proof of payment and received redimbursement. The 2 roadside service companies charged me for labor and parts, about $800, and I have submitted those invoices and discussed the issue with Customer Relations manager. ARG has done a good job.

2 comments:

Steve and Karen said...

Wow, it's amazing at the ineptness of people working on these rigs. Sounds like they just want to get you out of their shop.
I hope you get this fixed once and for all. My patience would be wearing VERY thin at this point.

Larry said...

I don't know if it was ineptness or not seeing the problem. I can understand the first shop. I watched what they did and it seemed reasonable. The second time I really questioned what they were doing but didn't go for the gusto.

On the third and fourth the road side service made a very good attempt to resolve the problem and I don't really fault them. The 4th time we were thinking there was a hose issue and he did replace the hose.

Access to these rear radiator coaches isn't the greatest, actually it sucks.