Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Focal Wood and beyond

When we left Duncan we went to Napannee to get our cabinets from Focal Wood. Once they were installed we were on our way to Mississinewa Lake State Park near Peru IN. That would be our base from which we would go to Kokomo.

On our way we were buffeted by strong winds and heavy rain. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp, MIL, started flashing but I confused it with the High Exhaust Temperature Light, HEST, and figured a Diesel Particulate Filter, DPF, was doing a regeneration. We were running right along and things seemed fine. However when I had to slow and then accelerate I noticed that the power was way down. I checked the turbo boost pressure and it would not go above 23#'s. Damn another problem in the middle of nowhere. I called the last dealer I had been to for the reprogramming of the ECM and they could provide no over the phone help. Take it to a shop. There was one on the way to our next destination so I figured I would go there when we left.

Our main reason for going to Kokomo was to take a tour of the Kokomo Opalescent Glass factory as well as see a couple of museums and find the Vermont covered bridge that is in a city/county park.
The tour of the factory was very interesting. It is hard to describe so a couple of pictures will speak the words I can't find.
They "hop" the molten glass, about 80# I think, over to the mixing table and pour it out.

Once the molten glass is on the table it is "mixed", basically folded like dough, then thrown into the forming rollers

After it has cooled it is cut into panels and off to packaging.


The tour guide said that they have orders that fill shipping containers. Many to Europe, Japan and ...

After lunch we went to a museum, oh crap closed on Monday. Then it was off to find the Vermont Covered Bridge in a local park.

No comments: