Sunday, August 24, 2008

Friday, Saturday, Sunday - VT

Friday;
we checked our a few kayak/canoe launch sites along the Winooski river that are near Burlington's North End. The one at Ethan Allen Homestead is about a quarter mile from parking and down a hill to get to the river. The one at MC Crae farm looked ok but we were almost carried off by the mosquitoes. The one at the 127 crossing also doesn't do well. To steep of an entry. The river is quite high and that is the likely the cause of the access issues.

After that exercise we went to Hannafords to some groceries. Hannafords is only about a mile from the North Beach campground. You can also get there via the bike path.

The rest of the day was tinker and resting.

Saturday;
Son James arrived about 8:45 and we had breakfast. After a breakfast we visited, showed Jim our new camper and talked over build plans.

Suzette started a pine needle basket and Jim and I went for a bike ride to the waterfront. See map.We stopped at the boat house, sailing center, andLois McClure before returning to camp.

We had some snacks and visited while I added air to the bike tires. Then Jim and I headed towards the Winooski River crossing on the bike path. Never made it. Can you believe that 19 year old tires failed? Yep the side wall of my front tire let go. No big bank but flat just the same. Jim rode back to get his car or my truck to transport me and the bike back. He suggested to his mother that he just take her front tire for me to use to ride back, but he just brought his car. On our return we did stop at a couple of places to purchase new tires and tubes. We didn't like what we saw so that may be tomorrows task.


Sunday;
Jim returned, a little earlier that yesterday, so I cooked breakfast again. Steak eggs and hashbrowns. The steak and hashbrowns were yesterday's dinner left overs. We then releveled the trailer and headed out to see what we could find for tires, tubes and some other items. Wally world, Dicks, Home Dumpy, Earls. Gotta help the local economy.

As we were returning Jim had a call on his cell and made a lunch date so that left the tire changing to me. Oh well. As I was working on my bike I noticed that Suzette's bike's front tire was flat. After I had my front one done I took a look a her's. It wouldn't hold air. I removed the tire and found a split tube. Also the side wall's of the tire are showing signs of failure. More tires and tubes tomorrow.

With my new tires I rode to Hannafords to get some fruit and slaw for supper. As I was returning the shift lever for the rear broke. Damn. Second time that has broken in as many years. Plastic crap.

After dinner we sat around and waited for the live Buffet concert on Sirius. No margaritas, just beer here. No weed either, but still a good concert.

See pictures of North Beach and Burlington here.

No comments: