Saturday, August 25, 2007

Camping day 56

Glimmerglass State Park NY to North Beach Park Burlington VT
Wednesday August 22,2007

We got a decent start and headed for North Beach Campground in Burlington Vermont. The trip was uneventful for the most part. It was interesting to travel across US20, a section that we had not traveled in years, and saw that not much had changed. There was a new Wal-Mart distribution center and an expansion to a gas supply facility. We made our ususl stop on the northway, I87, at MM14 and another stop at the Vermont welcome center on US4.

Ok now how to navigate Burlington to get to the park. The GPS, as well as the instructions from the park web site, suggested US7 to Main Street then to Battery and then North Ave. Ok we have been here before so I decide to take Pine St. forgeting how rough that street has always been. Then add some construction on water or sewer an you have the making of a small adventure. We arrive just fine and get checked in and go to site 7. When we reserved the person taking the reservations said he thought 7 was the best site. I think he was right. Although you are on the main road to the beach and there is some traffic the site is set back about 50 feet or so and you can get a glimpse of the lake.

After we got set up I talked to Jim's cell mail box to let him know I needed to know when and where to meet for the evenings sailboat race. A little after 4 he called to let me know that K2 would leave the mooring about 5:45. We had already started to cook hamburgers so I quickly ate mine and left Suzette to finish up. I got to LCYC and did not see Jim so I went to where the launchs were taking folks to the boats. I made it to K2 with a little time to spare. We had a great race with Louis and his crew. I helped with sail take downs and stowing things after the race.

On shore I found Dick Goff whom I worked with at IBM and we visited for a time before I returned to the campground.

No comments: